21 March 2008

Going Back In Time

Ok, so we all know time travel is just a cute idea put forth by Hollywood & fantasy/sci-fi movies, right? But what if you really COULD go back in time? Well, maybe you can...with your knitting!!!

I started a new scarf for myself the other day. We're at that funny in-between Winter & Spring weather, where some days you don't really need a coat, but it's too cold to go out with nothing--ergo, a scarf is the perfect accessory!

I've had this pretty hand-spun ivory-color fiber I've wanted to use for a long time, but no project in mind. A perfect match for my scarf frenzy! So I started knitting an open-weave "holey" design..........

And hated it. Got about 18 inches knit and decided it wasn't right. So I set it aside & started pondering. After about a day of serious scarf-thought, I realized it was time. Time to go back in time! A-froggin' we will go...a-froggin' we will go....high-ho, the mommy-O, a-froggin' we will go!

I ripped out all 18 inches, re-wound my ball of yarn, and started over! This time I chose an easy cable design, with moss stitch edges. And after 3 inches of that, I decided that my width & pattern were slightly off. So I ripped that out too!!! The time machine was working in overdrive!

Finally, with attempt 3 or 4, I was happy & content. Now I've nearly finished the scarf, and it's gorgeous! An easy 3-stitch edge in moss stitch on both sides. A center cable, all front-twist, split from 6 stitches. And all done on big, fast size 13 US needles. Can't beat it!

So maybe you can't really go back in time, but sometimes it's ok to start over! Better to start over, even when the project is half-done, than to finish something you're not happy with...just so you can say you finished it. Because, as I've learned, a project finished that you're unhappy with is no better than a project you never finish. You'll never wear it or use it if you don't LOVE the end result!

Enjoy your time travels, fellow Lint Heads! I know I have enjoyed mine this week!

Knit One, Purl Two, Smile Three.....................and Keep Crafting!

No comments: